Monday, February 4, 2008

SOME PEOPLE!!!

Why do these things always happen to me? You are going along in your life...everything is running smooth (or so you think) and then WHAM...you get a reality check smacking you on the side of your head!! To make matters worse it is because you have complete stupid idiots in your life that do these things to you!!

This is what I am talking about. Neil got the day off last Friday to do some improvements around our house. He was having a friend come and help him put some really nice wooden caps along the sides of our stairs...I will post pictures later. Anyway, we wake up to a text message from a tenant in one of our duplexes. Keep in mind it was the first of Feb. and I was expecting to be getting a rent check from this lady any day... I knew it was bad when I hear Neil cussing from the other room as he is reading the message. She says, and I will summarize...

"Neil, sorry for the short notice, but we got a job transfer out of state and we left four days ago. You have our deposit, so you can use that for the cleaning. Whatever is left, please send me the difference."

We immediately go into overdrive mode and get the kids ready, throw clothes on ourselves and head over to the apartment to see just how bad it looks. The whole time I am freaking out, because now I am without rent for the month and I am going to have to scramble to get someone in there!!

To put it very very VERY lightly...this apartment was in the worst state I have ever had any apartment left!! I can not believe the disgust and filth that was around there. This tenant had lived there for over two years and had NEVER CLEANED A DAY IN HER LIFE!!! The place should have been condemned. Not only was the apartment completely nasty and dirty, it had so much extensive damage it was going to take forever to get it to rentable status. I had HUGE holes in almost every wall. Holes in every door. Food caked to the ceiling. Blinds falling off the windows. A two car carport stacked 6 feet high of garbage, old furniture, clothes, and dog *@#!. The place STUNK so bad I could not breathe. All of this caused me to have a temporary breakdown. I have never cried over an apartment before. I was so upset, Neil had to yell at me to get me refocused.

Granted Neil and I are not one to sit still to long, so within minutes I had our contractor on the phone and our carpet guy scheduled. Things are not done yet...we have spent the last three days down there cleaning and hauling 8 truck loads FULL to the dump. But, I am very excited to say that it is getting painted as we speak and carpet is going in tomorrow. I think I may even have a tenant lined up. All in less then four days!!

I have posted some pictures...trust me; these do not even do the apartment its proper justice. Just pretend you are sitting in a pile of garbage as you look at these pictures!!

15 comments:

Heather-hoo Andersen said...

Oh my GOSH! Do people really live like that? I cannot believe you didn't call us to come and help you!!! I cannot believe Jared did not offer!!!! That is SO GROSS!!!! I am so sorry that happened!!! Next time, hopefully there will not be one, but if so - then you better call us to come and help.

The Andersen's said...

go to this link and look at this seemingly unbelievable mess discovered last year in an Ogden townhouse which has suddenly become an Internet legend.



http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=268346

Tammy said...

ugh! what a mess but way to cleaner, organizer lady! four days is not bad

b. said...

That just ain't right....can I link to this from my blog?

Amy A. said...

sure b. you can link it...

Chris said...

That had to be one of the worst experiences! What a dumb person! I hope it all worked out, and that you will be able to move on from that quickly! WHAT A MESS!!! Oh, you should post updates of what it looks like when its fixed again! That would really be a change!

La Yen said...

Found you from b. I can't believe that she expected money back. Was her deposit for a trillion dollars? Because then you could send her the $18 she would have had left...

Mrs. O said...

I think I'd be testing for meth residue. Unbelievable!

Deena said...

Hey, I came here from b. I can't believe the squalor that some people live in. ew. All of that AND they left behind their Carmen Electra poster.

Bek said...

I also came here from B... I am so sorry. My sister managed some low income apartments in West Valley for a few years and she had similar stories. The difference is that she worked for a company and could PAY someone to clean it up.

Sadly, we have moved my son's family out of apartments that looked like this when they left. It is very sad. Some people have never learned to manage this and are missing the gene that tells that that living like that is not fun, not healthy or happy....

It stinks that you had to clean it up. Makes you wish you could do what BYU does and do an inspection every 6 months, huh?

Good luck.

elasticwaistbandlady said...

Glittersmama made me go back to look at the Carmen Electra poster. :)

elasticwaistbandlady said...

Entering into that squalor would have made me seriously consider if it was worth it to clean it up or if it was better to just throw a lit match and some rolled up newspaper inside to take care of it.

How about the bathroom? Come on, don't hold back on us now.

elasticwaistbandlady said...

Oh, and here's a guy in Canada that manages and owns apartments filled with all kinds of drug-addicted, prostitutin low-lifes. I used to read his blog when I first started blogging.

That Poor Landlord

Jennifer B. said...

Wow. You poor woman! Glad you were able to get things cleaned up so quickly. Must've been exhausting!

dlyn said...

As a former landlord I can sympathize - we decided it was not for us and got out of the biz. Great job getting it ready to rent again in just 4 days!