Wednesday, September 17, 2008

In Memory of my Grandma Jo

I have not posted anything about the recent passing of my Grandma yet. I do not know why. Maybe it is because I did not know how to properly express the thoughts I had of her. I wanted to have an entry of her so I can forever remember her and the love I had for her. She was a wonderful women who had SO much love to give. It is from her that I have learned of my great love of animals. She had such a strong love of animals and appreciated the joy they gave to her. Grandma Jo was a very caring person. This was emulated in the career she had as a nurse. She loved to serve and help others. She found peace and satisfaction by doing this. She was someone who loved to smile and if you did not have one, would give you hers. She was always positive and always an optimist. She always wanted those around her to look at the bright things in life. I will always Cherish the love that she had for me and my family.

Her obituary was posted in the paper today so I thought that I would post what was said about her there.

Helen JoAnn Johnston
Helen JoAnn Johnston 1926 ~ 2008 Our beloved mother, grandmother, great-grandmother, and friend returned to her Heavenly Father on Sept. 9, 2008 at her home.She was born October 30, 1926 in Salt Lake City, Utah to Helen Dana Thomas and Clayton Bullock Turner. She married the love of her life, Robert Francis Johnston, on March 19, 1945 in Berkeley, California. Their marriage was later solemnized in the Jordan River Temple. She attended the University of California at Berkeley and received her nursing degree. Mom worked as a nurse throughout her life. She was a born caretaker with her nurturing, loving personality. She cared for her family, friends, and animals. She had a positive and cheerful outlook on life. While her deepest love was her family, mom also loved her Friends group and her PEO sisters. What fun she had with them! They were devoted to her as she endured many struggles in life. Mom also enjoyed traveling around the world and was proud she received a certificate for climbing the Wall of China. JoAnn is survived by her sister, Phyllis Ann Kidd (John); her daughter, Cathryn Sanders (Robert); her son, Steven Johnston (Kris); eight grandchildren, and 20 great-grand-children. JoAnn was preceded in death by her husband, Bob; her sister, Kathryn Dana Oswald (John) and her parents, Clayton and Helen Turner. The family wishes to express our sincere appreciation to First Choice Hospice for their loving care and concern for our mother, and to the staff at South Towne Ranch. Services are planned for Saturday, Sept. 20, 2008 at 11:00 at The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints located 275 E. 106th S. in Sandy, Utah. Interment will be in Springville, Utah. In lieu of flowers, the family requests contributions to the
American Cancer Society or an animal organization of your choice. Condolences may be sent at www.wheelermortuary.com

No comments: