Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Toby Update...

I have alot of nice comments about my post about Toby. I used this blog as a release of my feelings and emotions about the situation. I wanted to record how the event had effected my life. It was nice to have so many nice comments of concern. I figured I would post a follow up to let everyone know how things are going now. I am glad that I did not post this follow-up any sooner, because now I would have to print a contraction. Well... ironically enough, I have him back!! I know, I know!! Here is the weird and ironic story that lead up to this.

The days and weeks to follow dropping him off were hard but each day was better. I was doing really good. I had excepted the fact that Toby was gone and I was used to life with only one dog. I had talked to the new owner several times and she raved about how good Toby was and how he had adjusted into their family. So, I was content and was moving on.

Yesterday I got a call from the new owner. She asked me if I would consider taking him back. I told her that yes, I would rather take him back if things were not working out, instead of her then shuffling him somewhere else. She said that her female Schnauzer (who she intended on breading with Toby) ended up having sists and needed a hysterectomy. I think it was this main reason that she saw no point in keeping Toby. If she was not able to bread her female, then she did not want Toby. I think it is sad!! She also complained about his several escape attempts and successes, said he barked alot when left outside too long, and recounted how she had to pick him up from the local shelter. I told her I would be by that night to pick him up.

With this news came the flood of emotions. I saw the benefits of having Toby gone. The stress level in my house had dissolved and life had returned to normal. But at the same time, we missed the energy that Toby had. He is such an interactive dog. He loved to play with the kids, something Molly is just not interested in. He would chase the ball, play fetch, go running with you, and cuddle up on your lap. With him gone, we have seen how Molly is just not that kind of dog. She almost went through withdrawals and became so boring. The kids could not play with her and she did not like to go out with us. So, here we are... back to square one!!

I do not know what we are going to do from here. If any of you would like a dog...please let me know. I love them both, but I know our life would be easier with this new baby coming to only have one. I will keep you posted.

1 comment:

Tammy said...

sounds like toby is the better dog for the kids, maybe you should get rid of the other one? Is that mean? Sad about that lady. Why not just get a pimped out male instead of having your own? Pay for Toby to come visit...right? Didn't you do that once before?